~~~*.::Knight4Life::.*~~~

~~~*.::Knight4Life::.*~~~

Monday, January 16, 2012

the Start of a Beautiful Hair Journey

My sister from another mother, Merlz, introduced me to a new world & I've been hooked ever since. There's so much to talk about, I don't know where to begin, LOL. The beginning is always a nice start <3.....buckle up pearls because here we go!

It all started when I met my amazing boyfriend! I moved to away from home to attend the University where I'd realize my dream: to obtain my Bachelors of Science in Health Services Administration....BTW...Yes I Did..Your girl received her B.S in HSA..woot woot!! Now back to the story LOL.....as I would have it no one would touch my hair BUT my beautician, who was now back at home, bummer! & ladies you know, I turned directly to a girls best friend, the WEAVE (lol). I had no problems whatsoever in managing my hair. Welp! I was wrong...since my beautiful hair was tucked neatly in braids, rope twists, and sew-ins..I was doing more harm than good. However, things would definitely change sooner rather than later. Insert the most incredible day I met my baby <3....Now, pearls you know you can't be half stepping when it comes to your beau! So I knew I'd have to make a change but, I'd never imagine the good that would come out of beginning my hair journey!! Now to be clear, I did NOT, & I repeat, I did NOT begin this journey because of my papa, however, he played a big role in my decision to take matters into my own hands, After all, I was getting tired of the weave, believe it or not. So! December 2010 I visited my beautician back at home & got a perm for the first time, in a very long time and chopped most of it off in part due to damaged hair. NEW YEAR, NEW DO! Ha! I went back for a wash a week later (Jan 2011) and never went back since.

Cue in my sister from another mother Merlz :) she mention a young African-American girl name Megz *Megan* (YouTube channel: ulovemegz). Merlz spoke in awe of how Megz looked exactly like US & had beautiful LONG HEALTHY hair...now don't get me wrong, I was a bit of a skeptic myself at first. However, I threw caution to the wind and said if she can do it, I CAN DO IT TOO! Hence sparking what is now my beautiful hair journey <3!! Several of my friends have flocked to me & YouTube to begin their own journey to having and maintaining their long, beautiful tresses :D

 ^^ Dec 2010
 ^^ Jan 2011

^^ Oct 2011

I faced all the challenges of being afraid, questioning if I was doing the right thing, self relaxing, learning how to put rollers, shedding, split end, trimming my hair myself (still struggling w that, Lol) and being GUILTY of over purchasing products I did not need. However, this journey has taught me a lot about myself. I CAN & WILL DO ANYTHING I SET MY MIND TO ACCOMPLISH <3 My thoughts to you are: you can do it too :)

March 2012 will be a year since I've began this incredible journey & the best is yet to come.

I'm looking forward to writing and sharing my blog posts....& I hope we'll all create a bond that screams #TeamLongHairDon'tCare LOL..............BLACK GIRLS ROCK <3 & OUR HAIR DOES TOO...Let us celebrate it <3

Green "Edgy Emerald" Pearl

<3

5 comments:

  1. YAY girlie! I am so happy for you. The hair journey as a whole is a wonderful experience, whether it be relaxed or natural. It's so rewarding to be able to take care of one's hair and see the benefits of that care by your own hand. Ulovemegz has been an inspiration on YT and I was happy to have found her and glad to see that she has inspired you as well. Love sweetie!

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love!! Indeed it is, a scary one, but nevertheless and exciting journey.

      This is truly ironic! I had no idea that you blogged let alone follow Megz...LOL...life is amazing at how we are all connected and linked to one another via technology and one common goal: defining what we deem beautiful and bringing it to life. I'm amazed!! So FOLLOWING YOUR BLOG!! Love the pics & I can't wait to watch the tuts! :D

      Delete
  2. I love the fact that you started this blog, to share your journey with others. As much as I follow others on their journey,I am glad to know someone personally going through the their own journey. I have personally witness it and can attest to it. Thank you for this love and Good Luck with the rest of your journey!

    Now... again I want to say, I love this blog, the font and the inspirational quotes around it.

    ~Merlz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I FINALLY MADE IT TO COMMENT ON YOUR BLOG!!! YAY!!! I'm Late Tho.. Me Sorry :o(!!... THANK YOU Loveee!! For helping me start my hair journey and all the advice.. If it wasn't for you and Merline.. I wouldn't be on this beginning adventure! I'm excited to say I had 1 inch of new growth.. However, this scissor happy stylist went crazy and chopped off 1.5 inches of my hair... :o( Now I'm back to Ear length.. It;s a sad day in America! This lesson learned has helped me realize to invest in my own pair of shears and start self relaxing!!

    THANK YOU NESSA BOO! HHJ!
    (Wow I'm learning the new acronyms)
    I feel FANCY! lol!

    ReplyDelete